Tuesday, December 23, 2008

they say that the first impressions last forever. nowhere it holds true-er for me, personally, than, when it comes to music. I am generally a music lover, not really a fanatic, with no hard bound limits n preferences. this makes me open to experimenting with different kinds of music, and in that i think i have been blessed with friends who have varied interests in music, and manage to get me started from the very best of songs. i remember my introduction to english music was, very characteristically of average middle class homes those times, Mtv, and backstreet boys. but the first song i ever really loved, after a giggly doe-eyed "britney" phase ofcourse, was Breaking my heart again - MLTR. then came Lets make a night to remember- Bryan adams, and though i loved " have you ever really loved a woman" for obviously feminist reasons [ men who claim not to understand women--listen to that song..] , the former still reigned in preference.

the first rock song i ever heard, of any kind, was Time machine, courtesy ankit. one of my best friends, now for many years. in a phase when i was sick of love songs..no i wasn't recently heart broken, i was beginnin to realise wat an over rated emotion love is and was just fed up of lovey dovey songs.. or as ankit put it, i was turning into a hard core "you MCP" feminist. i remember those days when he would force me to sit next to him and listen to weird rock, just bcoz he was too bored to be sitting and working alone till late night. i remember the first song that really "got to me" [in ankit's words] was "the man who sold the world". well some good came out of those days..i found what an excellent stress buster rock can be, especially punk rock. ofcourse my supply was limited to the songs on his machine only, but i soon had them on mine and they started acting as my anger management when i was too stressed out and wanted to scream [errm..yes that did happen at work, even at home, at times...]

and then came songs from parag and chander, ranging from Daimen Rice to Immaculate dream & as deserts miss the rain. even saawariya and avdhoot gupte. soulful to haunting to peppy, and yes lovey dovey too, [ thankfully by now i over that phase, though i still think love is an extremely over rated emotion but that another story ].

the latest addition to my list of successful experiments... white rabbit - grace slick. psychedellic rock. again, an excellent start from abhishek, a friend from so long that I've lost count. of the number of years....from the puppy love of the archies, abba and the corrs [all of which i still love btw ] to jefferson airplane and RATM, things that "gets to me" , my collection is as varied as the interests of my friends. and am I thankful for that!! soon, hopefully, i'll have a song for every mood of mine [ many more of those are still waiting for the right music to hit them ;) ] and ofcourse the endless hindi music of every age and time and genre from the ancient navratan to the latest fashion, the punjabi bhangra to the sufi music...[credit for most of which goes to my kid sister], its all there. and dont forget a bit of jagjit singh here n there as well [thats thanks to my ex colleagues at my last company ] oh and how can i forget all the devotional music " to help me stay calm under pressure" courtesy my mother [somehow they always know, whether you tell them anything or not..they have these sensors..they just know.]

why did i write this up and decide to announce my playlist to the whole world on a spur of the moment, when writing, even for fun, is something i tend to take somewhat seriously, surely not to flaunt my music collection its zilch compared to each of my friends', individually! .....not too sure, must be the white rabbit doing its work!! and perhaps my latest discovery that sadly enough my writing capacity ha gone way down vis-a-vis my typing stamina and the thought of writing my diary tires my hand out.

but i guess mostly just to thank my friends for being there [not that any of them would ever read this if i held a gun to their heads..i am enough to handle even without having to go through this additional pain! ] . but just to thank them for bearing with me through all my numerous moods n temperaments, and assuaging me with the right kind of music when they can't do it alone :)

thanks guys...at the risk of sounding "filmy" ..."wen u smile for me the world seems all right" ... :)

here's my latest addiction... white rabbit

No comments:

Post a Comment