Saturday, February 06, 2010

a vanilla 27

I recently turned 27. Now, 27 is a rather uneventful, dry age to turn.

It doesn't have the excitement of turning into a teenager @13, doesn't makes your heart flutter with the hope of first love @ 16, you wont be suddenly legally entitled to drink the way you became at 12:01 am, @ 21 , no quarter life crisis of 25...doesn't even mark your transition from one landmark decade of 20s or 30s to the next....27 doesn't do anything. It doesn't give any specific reason to rejoice, or to be anymore miserable at getting old, than any other non-landmark birthday.

Its plain and simple, a vanilla 27, somewhere in between.

Nor was the celebration a historic event in my life. I spent a nice & quiet birthday with a few friends I met in between driving ( :O ) , and a nice dinner with few family members & cousins;

Like I said, it was a pretty uneventful affair, for a pretty uneventful age

So why have I picked this to be the year of announcing my age to the world, when I prudently didn't for all those other more happening transitions ??

The fact that I never in my dreams ever imagined turning 27 [ I For some reason I always imagined my life only until 25!] and its making me feel old beyond imagination..might have something to do with it...I think I am still in denial, that 27 years have actually passed by!!!

But I think its more due to this lazy sunday afternoon. It reminds of my school summer vacations, when all of us cousins would go to stay at our nani' house.

My nani used to have a big old fashioned bunglow in Delhi; just 2 big rooms, 1 huge kitchen, 1 big balcony and a garden outside the house. In one big room without a cooler, sometime with power cuts too, with only handheld fans to keep the flies n mosquitoes away we would all sleep next to each other on mattresses on the floor. Talking softly n giggling so those asleep would not wake up; Many names of our younger cousins were debated upon n decided amongst us in those subdued conversations; and much to the consternation of those younger ones, those names have stuck :)

I have a distinct memory of watching the sunlight flood through the iron mesh of the wooden frame door; the dust particles dancing in that light, splitting it into multiple rays..I used to wonder if they did it deliberately, and if they were trying to create a rainbow

I remember hanging by the huge main entrance gates, which was just the right height for us to grab its rails and swing; sometimes 3 of us on each gate as we waited for our moms n aunts to come from work to see us; running and clinging to pretty much anyone who came; the ensuing tantrums all of us threw at their attempts of taking us back home; and the victory smiles after our moms gave way to 1 more day of holidays;

I remember plucking ripe cotton & tomatoes from the garden with my nani, & climbing on the guava n mango trees; I remember the aam ka achaar she used to give us with food; and sometimes when there wasn't enough sabzi to go around; how she would make all of us laugh about it, and then cut whatever veg was available, add salt and give it as a special course of meal

I even remember the silly pranks I played as a child, and I never forget the "friendly" punch my cousin gave me on my frontal teeth because I told her that they were hurting too much.. [well of course they broke and left me with the permanently impaired dental state I have now]...a perfect example of how too much love n protection can be bad for health ;) :P

There are a lot of such memories that flood back on afternoons such as these as I stare out of my top floor sea-facing bedroom with a perfect view and I can't help reflect.

Simple. Idyllic joys of childhood.

Its been exactly 14 years since I spent my last summer in that house. 14 years ago that house was sold off. I remember the last time we had all gone to take a look at the house.....almost all of us were crying, trying not to let anyone else see. An imposing & rather hideous structure has replaced that house now. The house where my mom, all of her siblings, and all of their children grew up. I still picture it vividly and sometimes even have dreams of playing around in it.

Life has come a very very long way since then. multiple jobs, a handful of degrees, living in different countries, 100s of people have come n gone, a few great ones have stuck around...and though I can never recreate magic of the times gone by; life isn't bad at all. We cousins still stay connected thanks to the new age of telecom & internet; and we still love meeting each other whenever possible. All our hearts still lie with our nani; whenever we can, we go & visit her in her now much smaller house; that brims with the same amount of endless love & happiness.

so yes, at 27, as I graduate from B school, knowing that life will probably change dramatically once more, I get ready to shift gears once more..waiting for the next round of this roller coaster to begin.

And as I hope that I will continue to learn, grow & improve as a person; continue to strive to add value to people's lives around me; and that I will succeed in giving more meaning to my life & be blessed with the fortune of living out my dreams; I will save these lazy afternoons to reflect.

These lazy sunday afternoons that remind me of the magical times gone by.

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME AWESOME POST!
    I absolutely loved it. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hye shipra. the words are really Great !!!! but somehow Promise needs some promise right!!!! but all the above True justification here

    ReplyDelete