Saturday, March 10, 2007

WHAM!! WHAM!! THUD!! THUD!! Dear God!! My head hurt so much it was almost as if the
splitting sounds were coming from the outside. And they kept coming closer. Oh NO! Wait! They WERE coming from the outside. I looked up to realise there was cabling
work going on right at my desk. "Madam, can you please move outside, we need to move
your table and finish the cabling" .... I reluctantly got up from my seat where I
had put my head-down on my arms and closed my eyes, trying to shut out the noise. I
left to see if the coffee machine had been set up. I badly needed a cup. We had just
moved into our new office and it was the first day. The move was from a semi-
deconstructed to a semi-constructed office and life , as can be expected, was
chaotic, and I am not talking about just work. Scattered furniture, half-laid
cables, and non-stop hammering & drilling everywhere. I hadn't had a coffee since I
arrived 4 hours ago, and the drill machines had given me a splitting headache.It was
a nightmare. At last I found the coffee machine, and realised once again, how
heavenly a cup of coffee could be. :) Refreshed after that short break, I finally
forced myself to look around the place. And realised that it was not only bigger but
also much much nicer. Loads of windows everywhere, and a lot of moving space. The
view outside the windows was nothing spectacular, but I could see till far-off,
trees, mingled with single storey buildings, the perfect blue skies and the cool
wind on the perfect March afternoon. It was actually a nice place. The next day was etter, we even had a small ganpati-pooja, completely in-house ofcourse ;) and after we had finally managed to drag our CEO out of his non-stop meetings and embarrassed him visibly ;). This followed a samosa-party , well no celebration is ever complete without a samosa-jalebi party rt!! ;)
Its been a week. The drill machines are still on. But the cabling around my desk is done atleast ;) And, things are settling down.
Infosys founder said in a mecture, "Love your job, not your company" , I dont think thats possible. I dont think you can enjoy your work, unless you like the sorroundings, the ergonomics and the people you work with. Its the whole picture that can be viewed and taken in totality. Maybe that, or maybe I am too retarded to understand that :P
Well, its a saturday afternoon, and part-of-why I am still sitting in my office is because slowly, but surely, I am falling in love with it, all of it :)

1 comment: